http://www.ShopCurious.com/ http://twitter.com/ShopCurious

Tuesday 27 October 2009

Ultimate style statement?


Where do you store your memories? Do you have a box of old photographs in your attic, or is your life uploaded for all to see on Facebook? Have you ever written a diary? Do you have a secret place where you stash away the most treasured keepsakes from your past? If not, each of these beautiful ceramic sculptures by Fabienne Auzolle, available at ShopCurious, has a hidden compartment for mementos and cherished pieces of personal history.

You've probably heard enough of my memories, but before I introduce a new theme, I’d just like to take a brief look at a huge topic with so many avenues and permutations I can feel the wires in my brain starting to fizz.



Everyone is different and we each have our own contribution to make to life on planet earth. We all like to have our individual say and to consider ourselves unique in terms of our style, clothing, personal taste and preferences. However, there are so many of us that we usually fall into certain categories in terms of our likes and dislikes. Some of us prefer rock music, others jazz, or classical; Some of us are vegetarian, whilst others are rampant carnivores, or suckers for seafood; Some of us choose to shop at chain stores, others buy only original vintage accessories, or nothing but the latest designer handbags … and so on.





The one thing that’s different about each of us, is the eclectic mix of tastes and experiences that goes towards creating our own unique set of memories. Whether you jot things down in a notebook, write your memoirs, or squirrel souvenirs away in a special hiding place, the person your memories have most significance to is you. That being said, these days there’s a trend towards sharing everything – memories included. The proof of this is in the sheer volume of celebrity autobiographies, photo-caching, video broadcasting and the like.



Could this be part of a major revolution, not just in the way we choose to express ourselves, but also in the way we wish to be remembered by future generations? Modern innovations such as ‘digital time capsules’, like Diary of Mankind, the one I set up a few years ago, are seen to be ways of preserving our thoughts, wishes and memories for posterity. But will evidence of our mass online collaboration, our creative efforts and our achievements outlast us, let alone immortalize us for centuries to come? And, if so, what about the mistakes we made, will they be there for all to see as well?

Our current fascination with family history, ancestry, antiques, old photos, curiosities and all things retro reflects our appreciation of the memories, style, taste and contributions of previous generations. As for our own legacy, well, what do you wish to be remembered for …

the children you gave life to, or brought up, the work you did for charity, the money you left behind, the cars you owned, your final blog post, the book you wrote, your favourite celebrities, your sporting achievements, the pupils you educated, the parties you went to, the best film you ever made, the people you helped, the bands you liked, your fashion sense, the extraordinary things you invented, the meals you prepared, your size 8 figure, your creativity, your charm, your uniquely eccentric approach to life, your inimitable style, the huge stone angel at your graveside?

What sort of statement will you make with your life?

Please do send your thoughts and comments.

Will you?

12 comments:

Sister Wolf said...

Wow, what a thought provoking post. Fantastic! Just off the top of my head, I would like to be remembered as a total cunt who was never afraid to speak her mind. But also as a mother who struggled to support her children no matter what, a friend who always gave her whole heart, and a Samurai who refused to surrender in any of life's battles.

I would rather not be remembered for the unworn shoes hidden under my bed.

Susan said...

Hey sister Wolf, great to know you have a heart and a sense of humour (as well as your own uniquely acerbic style) and intrigued that your method of dealing with the human condition is inspired by Japanese feudal military aristocracy. Am curious to know what fashion horrors are lurking under your bed ...

Jill said...

Sister Wolf the Samurai...love it!

abril en paris said...

Your Blog is very very interesting.
Amazing !! Hello from Spain

Susan said...

Your blog is fabulous too - especially the pictures, full of old fashioned mystery and romance. Need to brush up on my Spanish though ... not sure how accurate the babel fish translator is?

abril en paris said...

I think the Collins Translator is quite good, if you want to use it,here are you are: http://www.collinslanguage.com/extras/Translation.aspx,
While, my english is little but i understand you more than less..^^
Saludos!!

nearlywinter said...

This made me think a long while. And I've realised that I'm a little magpie-like, taking odd things (faces I mean, or overheard conversations) that catch my eye and storing them up in dusty boxes. Then I forget about them, until I read some of my writing and realise it's all come out. So I suppose whatever I write is the truest, most honest way I can be remembered, because everything that ever mattered to me will be in there, somewhere.

All of which sounds a)soppy and b)a little incoherent. But it's c) true!

Glad Sister Wolf has directed me to your blog...

Sarah P

Susan said...

Thanks for the recommendation abril, will test that out.

Welcome nearlywinter, with thanks to Sister Wolf. Writing can be curiously theraputic.

Jill said...

I've just read Sister Wolf's post...about your post. And I've realized that I would like to be remembered as someone who was generous...in all ways...with love, friendship, information, hospitality, laughter and ellipses.

Liz.Photo said...

Love all of these ceramic pieces and gorgeous black vintage dress!

Make Do Style said...

Hey you did well with Sister Wolf! Also I didn't know about your book.

Plus this post is truly lovely - I over use this word but I mean it. I like it when I get to appreciate everyone and what they do.

Eri said...

I certainly would not be a time waster!