http://www.ShopCurious.com/ http://twitter.com/ShopCurious

Saturday 16 October 2010

The curious art of modern shopping


Funny how our style of shopping changes over time. A curious trend I’ve noticed is that markets are becoming much posher of late. This has a lot to do with creative types selling artworks, retro and crafts based products from stalls and pop-up shops in edgy locations.

In my column over at The Dabbler this week I also talk about the commoditization of art – now everyone seems to want a piece of it.

You might like to get yours for free by immersing yourself in Ai Weiwei’s Sunflower Seeds installation in the Turbine Hall at the Tate Modern - except now you can only look and not touch. The piece has many symbolic meanings, including the overwhelming importance of 'health and safety'. The 15 million porcelain replica Sunflower seeds are supposed to remind visitors of the famines under Mao Tse-tung. But, above all else, they resemble a bed of human ashes.

Alternatively, and also full of symbolic meaning, is this Fake Modern t-shirt by Fake London, currently available at ShopCurious.

By the way, I’d love to hear about any enjoyable arty things you’ve seen or done lately. Do let me know if you’ve any recommendations.

Will you?

3 comments:

worm said...

I'll be going to see my best friend's new art work at Vanitas

Susan said...

Thanks worm, who is your friend/what should I be looking out for? I will pop down to see this today - along with as many other arty venues as I can fit in. I've been stuck in sunny Marbella for a few days (poor me!) celebrating my mother's birthday (a big one).

Great to know that ShopCurious is bang on trend too!

Aubrey said...

Some good info here. I like your style!