http://www.ShopCurious.com/ http://twitter.com/ShopCurious

Thursday 11 November 2010

Do the happy-hippy shake?


I do appear to be a little pie-eyed in this photograph, which is curious - because I wasn’t aware of any physical side-effects from my deep inhalations of oxygen. Apparently, this is meant to be relaxing, to slow down the breathing and calm the mind – the perfect antidote to a frenzied French fashion fair… I’m not even sure which flavour my oxygen was, but I’d certainly have preferred to try a little from the bottle (below) that was mysteriously hand-labelled ‘aphrodisiaque’.





I was wondering if oxygen is classified as a drug as I wandered around the Wellcome Collection’s new exhibition, High Society, which is on from today until 27th February. Standing in the midst Mustafa Hulusi’s amazing four screen video installation of poppies growing at Afyon, in Turkey, is enough to make anyone feel light-headed.







The emergence of the illicit drugs industry is a very disturbing trend, and this fascinating show of information, artefacts and artworks relating to drugs and the drugs industry “invites the visitor to question our modern attitudes in the light of other times and cultures.”

Talking of other cultures, we’ve got a curiously psychedelic lucky Buddha water globe at ShopCurious. This would certainly make an unusual gift, or an interesting present for someone who's got a very sad addiction: collecting traditional Christmas snow domes.





The weirdest thing is that when you give this quirky curiosity a shake, the water inside looks strangely as though it’s filled with smoke, or am I dreaming? I’m sure the smoke is totally harmless, but nevertheless, this Buddha looks unusually happy…








Anyway, I’m curious to know if you've had any harmlessly happy, hippy experiences? Now please don’t be shy…

Will you?

4 comments:

Jan said...

Nothing to confess I'm afraid.
I could use something though - the day I've had!
(not really bloggable)
By the way, you look lovely as always.

worm said...

Hmmm nothing remotely repeatable here haha!! Quite curious to try the oxygen thing though - I've heard it's supposed to be very energising and refreshing?

Susan said...

Hope you're feeling less stressed now, Jan?

Yes, worm, curiously oxygen is supposed to be both relaxing and energising at the same time.. On a more serious note, apparently cancer attacks every organ in our body, except the heart because of its abnormal supply of oxygen. Almost all cancerous beginnings are due to lack of lack of cell oxygenation.

ilikestuff said...

I've had any number of high experiences...none of which were particularly harmless. But I did vote 'yes' on Prop 19 to legalize marijuana in California! After carefully considering it and reading about the decriminalization of drugs in Portugal (which has been a smashing success) I decided it was the best thing to do. Too bad it didn't pass :(