http://www.ShopCurious.com/ http://twitter.com/ShopCurious

Sunday 8 May 2011

Never on a Sundae?


As mentioned in my post at The Dabbler, I’ve fallen madly in love with the late 19th century mandolin I purchased recently. A few days after buying the balloon-backed beauty, I stumbled upon a quirky little retro holiday souvenir that has a very similar shape.












I think the colourfully hand painted instrument, now available at ShopCurious, is originally from Greece. A list of Greek stringed instruments indicates that it may be something called a Sazi.



I haven’t quite mastered the mandolin yet, but perhaps I don’t need to, as some instruments play music all by themselves…



The mini mandolin-style memento isn’t quite as in tune with nature as the self-playing musical masonry that’s appearing in communal spaces the world over. In fact, it sounds curiously like the chimes from a traditional British ice cream van.

Anyway, here’s the original version of the tune from the 1960 film, Never on Sunday (with English subtitles). This fabulous old clip has Melina Mercouri waxing lyrical over the sensual delights of the Athens Port of Piraeus…



Are you?

4 comments:

Annie Wright said...

Great stuff! PS Thank you for your Strawberry Hill link. LOVE the photos.

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

hmmm learn new things daily!
Never heard of 'sazi' before, Susan!

xo*

Jan said...

What a fantastic clip.
I have to see the whole thing now.
I remember my (older) sisters singing this song round the house.
If I'd only known what that was all about.
:)

Susan said...

good music <3