http://www.ShopCurious.com/ http://twitter.com/ShopCurious

Monday 20 February 2012

Fashion your diary...



I mentioned (in August 2010) that books are the new fashion – it’s all part of the move towards ‘slow style’. This probably explains why Selfridges has erected a library in its Ultralounge, with 15,000 books to choose from as well as library classes – including 'stories about fashion' coming up this Wednesday 22nd.





And in the Wonder Room there’s a curious contraption that’s a cross between a Mousetrap game and a lottery ball spinner. 30,000 balls inside are giant-sized versions of the ones you get in bubblegum machines and contain fortune cookie style cards, each of which has a message linked to a unique word.



I have to say I was a little miffed when my friend’s card said ‘2012 is going to be LUXURIOUS for you,’ whereas mine read, ‘Welcome to the NEBULOUS new you.’ That must account for my failing eyesight and inability to focus my camera correctly…















Anyway, I suppose getting young people to sit down and read a book, rather than indulging in yet more reckless consumption, is a good thing? However, I don’t think teenage blogger, Stella of Stella's Wardrobe, would agree. When I bumped into her at London Fashion Week, she was just back from Top Shop, where she’d been through retail hell to snap up one of the more expensive limited edition Mary Katrantzou dresses. Yet she still looked like an angel - in fact, she was even wearing a halo.

Judging by her uniquely colourful style, I think Stella may like some of the books we’ve got at ShopCurious. Well, they’re notebooks-cum-diaries actually… with quirky, retro illustrations interspersed with daily, weekly and monthly pages and places where you can compile your own lists, charts and jot down everything that’s useful to you.

































Actually, they’re perfect if you’re thinking of writing your own book. Your curiously stylish memoirs, perhaps?

Are you?

4 comments:

Annie Wright said...

You can never have enough notebooks and these are gorgeous!!!

ilikestuff said...

If I had a dollar for every "journal" I started--and stopped keeping, I'd have enough money for 10 mary katrantzou dresses! I suppose I lack the follow-through necessary to keep a diary of my own, but I do enjoy reading other people's diaries ;)

worm said...

I love the illustrations on those notebooks, they remind me of Peynet

Susan said...

Thanks Annie.

Sounds curiously voyeuristic, Joanna!

I see what you mean, worm! In case you/re interested, we've just got some new (vintage) Peynet books in stock at ShopCurious...