http://www.ShopCurious.com/ http://twitter.com/ShopCurious

Tuesday 18 May 2010

Wedding butterflies





Whether or not you have butterflies in your stomach at your wedding, you can pay to have butterflies released on your big day. This unusual gesture is becoming increasingly common -











rather like releasing doves, (although they probably know where to return home to later).


Curiously, both are deemed suitable and are also available for release at funerals and memorial services too.











Anyway, I suppose this fanciful style statement is a little less messy than rice or confetti, and relatively eco-friendly to boot… However, in this day and age, should we not be concerned about the welfare of the poor butterflies? Supposing they get lost, let alone disorientated, after being shaken up and let loose in a strange place. Won’t being trapped in a container or basket make them traumatized? Never mind the couple getting married, spare a thought for the poor innocent victims etc.

If you’re looking for a more humane lepidopteran alternative, how about this 1950s vintage Bakelite butterfly bag from ShopCurious? I think this could be the perfect accessory for the social (and socially aware) butterfly – suitable for bride and guest alike.

Do you?

7 comments:

worm said...

That butterfly bag is lovely!

when I see anyone releasing butterflies en masse as a gesture, I can't help but think of the unfortunate 'Altamont' incident

Susan said...

Altamont? Now I am curious..

worm said...

- the infamous 1969 free festival that marked the 'end' of 'flower power' - during which the Rolling Stones tried to release thousands of butterflies, who, it turned out, had decided to reflect the spirit of the event by mostly being dead.

Jill said...

I don't think the butterfly idea is a good one...I would worry about them. Our guests threw rice...it's amazing where I found rice the next morning!

ilikestuff said...

It's sort of a charming idea...and while I'm not totally convinced that butterflies have the cognitive complexity to be "traumatized" it's sort of sad to think of them being released and dying shortly after from the shock and strain of it all. Doesn't bode well for the marriage either, I presume.

Jan said...

Surely someone's come up with eco-friendly confetti?
I wouldn't know, can't remember the last time I attended a wedding :)

p.s. thanks for the mention.

Anonymous said...

Throwing rice?? :O I worry more for the birds who wwould eat it after...they would explode as the rice expands inside them.