http://www.ShopCurious.com/ http://twitter.com/ShopCurious

Monday 20 September 2010

Earth, wind, fire and water (part II)

After my amazing trip down the river to reach the O2 Arena (see previous post), I didn’t think things could get much better. But I’d never experienced Earth, Wind and Fire live before.  I don’t really know too much about the band, except that they’re awesome musicians –  Daryl Easlea rightly describes their first album, That’s the Way of the World, as a ‘spiritual soul masterpiece’.

Oh, and they wear fabulous ‘70s style disco costumes. Or at least they used to. I found a few pictures of the group from the late 1970s and early ‘80s, when their look was a sort of tribal fusion – mixing funky African and American Indian influences with the Elvis-style flare-legged jumpsuit look (we’ve some similar vintage flares at ShopCurious).

Then I stumbled upon a breakfast television interview with members of the band, where they’re looking decidedly conventional. In fact, Ralph Johnson is actually wearing a suit!

I also recall a very curious piece of information relating to the band… When I was at university, one of my fellow students visited her doctor complaining of feeling depressed. He didn’t prescribe any drugs, but suggested that she should listen to as much of Earth, Wind and Fire's music as possible.
You may not be as devoted a groupie fan as I am, but I thought the concert was awesome. Here are some clips. The first video is of supporting band, The Brand New Heavies, who were pretty damned good too. After a while, my hands got a little shaky from holding the camera above my head for so long. But it’s worth persisting with the second clip to hear Philip Bailey and a curiously cool sax solo.



Anyway, if you were feeling a bit down, I hope you’re now a little more uplifted?

Are you?

3 comments:

worm said...

boogie wonderlaaaaaaaand!!

ilikestuff said...

Wow, if I ever went to a doctor and was prescribed a "heavy regimen of Earth, Wind, and Fire" I think I'd just about die laughing--which would actually make me feel better...so maybe that doctor was on to something.

ps
I checked out the cool western skirt link you sent. Love it! It would make a fine addition to anyone's western-themed collection.

Jan said...

Yep - can't get much higher.
Good vantage point.
Rowdy crowd though.
:)